Our department uses a variety of storm spotting volunteers, including our Cities, Fire Departments, Law Enforcement Agencies, and our CERT volunteers.
Butler County storm spotting volunteers are required to attend at least one storm spotter class each year. If a class is attended outside Butler County, proof of attendance must be provided.
If you are reporting weather-related events to the Emergency
Operations Center (EOC), please report only the following:
- Tornado, funnel, wall clouds
- Hail 3/4" or larger (dime, penny, nickel, quarter sized, etc.)
- Winds greater than 55 mph
- Rain greater than 1" per hour
- Water over the roadways or roads impassable due to high water
When making a report, please remember to include the following:
- WHO you are
- WHERE the event is occurring - location from the nearest city or a major landmark
- WHAT you have seen or are seeing
- MOVEMENT of the event
For more information on storm spotter reporting, weather terminology, and volunteer requirements, click here to view our storm spotter guidebook.